backgroundscript

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Snow Day!

Yesterday we finally got to go play in the snow! We've had nearly a foot, and we tried to play out in it other days, but it has just been too cold. So, yesterday it was 28 F and we were so happy for that! We bundled up (which took nearly forty minutes) and headed out with our sled. Here's how the kiddies got around:
They had such a good time sledding and playing at the park there.



You can't tell here, but that is one good lookin' dude. We did a little sightseeing at the park. The river is frozen (or at least has a top layer frozen)and you can tell an animal had walked out on it. Also, I think those are geese or some kind of bird out on it. Another river that we cross on our way to church had the same creatures resting on it too. Why would anyone want to sit their bums on ice? Anyway, it is so beautiful here!



Truly though, here are the most beautiful sights I personally saw all day:


Now these next few pics are really unbelievable. I don't know that my camera did them justice. Because truthfully I didn't believe it myself until I was walking on it.We went to Silver Beach at Lake Michigan. It was incredible. Where there is usually sand and a lot of beach in the summer is now frozen waves. Yes, you can see where they crested and in between is about six or seven inches of snow so you don't know how far down your foot is gonna go. Then you have to stumble your way over another wave. And they are slippery, icy waves. Let me back up. Before you get to the waves you can find frozen sand.
Then you walk over the waves. (Just thought of this: we literally walked on water yesterday!)



Here's M climbing on one and a close up of the ice.

Then after forty or fifty yards of this you get to a cliff of frozen water. We think that's where the shelf of the lake is, like where it gets really deep-because you climb up on this cliff and look down into a slushy nearly frozen lake. It was really neat.
 That's looking left at the "cliff" while standing on it. Mind you that is like six or seven feet of frozen water! And then you look down and see a very slow moving slushy lake. (This really was dangerous, because if you  took one wrong step you could easily slip right into that icy water.) Mr. J got some good pics on his phone that maybe he'll post of fb.



 And we didn't walk out to this but the pier looked really cool too. This is the best my camera could do:

This really was a neat sight to see. I love exploring and being here! I thought I would hate the cold, and there are certainly aspects of it that I could do without (adding ten minutes to our routines to put on gear just to go anywhere, for example). But I truly have enjoyed it. Especially after a beautiful day out with my wonderful family. We laughed and played together and that just does a body, and a family, good! Now, just in case you forgot:


No comments:

Post a Comment