backgroundscript

Sunday, January 12, 2014

December

M had a very big event in her life in December. Her music class at school had been practicing for months for the school Christmas program. (First and second grade combined performance). Closer to the time of the program Mrs. G (the music teacher) held auditions for a "solo" as M called it. She tried out and came home really excited that Mrs. G wrote something by her name after her audition and that maybe she would get to sing in front of "thousands" of people! (My worst nightmare, but whatever floats your boat, right?) Well, the next week M said she was asked to audition again and that she sang her "best and loudest" singing she could do and that she really really hoped to get picked for the solo. As her mother I was very concerned that she was going to be disappointed-not because she's not the most talented and beautiful girl in this town-but because she might not get picked! I didn't want her to come crashing down. So I had several talks with her about this. Well, music class is on Friday. The Friday before the performance I pick her up and she is very very upset. She said she didn't get picked for the solo and she just couldn't understand why because she sang her best. Talk about breaking my heart! We did our best to console her. Thankfully, she only had to be disappointed for one weekend. When she went back to school on Monday all the kids walked to the high school gym to have a practice for the program. And Mrs. G announced five girls would be singing the "solo". M was ecstatic! She couldn't believe it! Thankfully we had curled her hair and she was ready. I picked out an outfit I thought would be very appropriate: a pretty black sweater with sparkle bow detail and a dark blue with black polka-dot skirt. When I handed her some matching tights she refused! She wanted to wear purple tights with colorful polka dots-to go with one of the songs they were singing! What's a mother to do? Well, I let her wear them!  Here are some selfies she took on the day: (and thank goodness because unfortunately I didn't get any pics of her dressed up before or after the show-I'm really kicking myself about that now).

 Jared got a better video of the performance on our video camera, but I took this one on my phone. Of course I was bawling like a baby at my baby. I was one proud mama! Unfortunately, they weren't real close to the microphone and one little girl out sang all the rest (which M was very mad about) but it was a beautiful performance none-the-less. And, Mr. J and I were tickled throughout the whole program because M bowed after each and every song. She was the only child bowing, mind you. I'm pretty sure in her little world she was the one and only star in the auditorium that night! Truth be told, her mama felt that way too!


And on to other news: J has been doing very well at preschool. He enjoys playing with the new toys there immensely. Our last visit before the break he found this box of gadgets and without any direction put together a really cool contraption. When the other kids saw what he was doing and wanted to do it with him-he helped them make something. This is not the one he made because I didn't get a pic of it before he dismantled it, but you get the idea.

They set up a big train track and he was very happy about that: (and look he is wearing clothes!!)


 J got a cold, then he got a stomach bug, then he got an ear infection. Poor dude did not feel well for weeks! I love when babies take naps on me! So sweet!

We were going to have our Christmas a couple days before we left for our trip, but the Sunday before we couldn't wait any longer and surprised the kids with the news that we would have our Christmas that day. We had stayed home from church due to illness. We set the table all Christmas-y and "fancy" which M loves.
 Then we opened presents:


 I love this picture so much because M is so excited to give her daddy a present. She can't wait for him to open it because she knows he is going to love it! What a dear-heart!
 And he did actually really like the present she picked out for him-a sausage and cheese box.
 The t-shirt quilt I surprised Mr. J with:
 J's new train track and trains. He built tunnels for them. That's when we knew we had to get him an addition to the set for his birthday!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Chelsey! When you find out how to channel that energy in a more productive way (the last photo), let us know too! And M is into singing now too. They are very much alike, I think. We miss you guys and perhaps can catch up next Christmas. With love from Russia, -m

    ReplyDelete