backgroundscript

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Camping in Kentucky

Tonight, my story is about our recent camping trip. A few months ago, my gorgeous sis-in-law mentioned it would be fun to meet somewhere and have a cheap holiday so our kids could play. The cousins really miss one another. I loved the idea and whether she really meant for something to actualize or not, I started planning. I didn't want the whole summer to pass us by and then regret that we never did anything with them. So, we decided a camping trip would make a pretty cheap vacation. We found a location that met our requirements. It was about half-way between us. After lots of phone calls and emails planning food and crafts and travel plans etc we were finally getting ready to go. We cleaned house, grocery shopped, prepared food, and packed. (Camping is a lot of work.) Then on Thursday I woke up early, packed all the food up, made the kids a travel breakfast, woke them up, got them dressed and peed and we gave Mr. J a hug and were out the door on our way. We made several stops and thankfully had a very uneventful trip there. (I always pack lots of games and activities for the kids but all they want to do is watch movies. So, three movies and a nap (the kids, not me:) later we arrived at Dale Hallow Lake. It is a beautiful place with a resort, golf course, marina, huge boating dock, an island, and a big campground with playgrounds, a swimming pool, mowed lawns, caves, trails, and hot showers!

So, the kids and I got to work setting up camp and then took a dip in the pool while the rest of the crew were stuck in traffic. Then I let the kids play on the playground while I began dinner. When everybody arrived we got their tents up and enjoyed a meal together.It was so wonderful be together again!



this was a cool digger that j enjoyed very much right near our campsite:
 his on-command smile:



After a good night's sleep (actually, thanks to an awesome borrowed air mattress I was really comfy-we just had a loud neighbor) we got up and had breakfast and then went on a hike. Here's what I saw ahead of me for most of the time:
 and behind me:



After the hike I think we had lunch and then the kids made a fairy house and a bug house while two of us went to the store and the two young ones had a nap.







 this one was super G's and little M's:

(the kids were very delighted when they woke up the next morning to find that a fairy had left a shopping list behind after her stay at the fairy house. I believe a bug left something behind as well.)

more activities from Friday:
water balloons, a delicious dinner, airplanes, swimming, showers, a shadow puppet show (no pics), smores,










This pic turned out terribly but it was so sweet to look over and see super G holding J while he drank his milk. Cousin power!

Sat morning we loaded up and the kids hung out!









It was a sad parting but I am so very grateful my parents and A and the kids could come. We all worked hard to be there and I hope we all enjoyed it. I know I did. I know M did. She holds her cousins dear to her heart and can't wait to see them again. Thanks y'all! Love ya lots!

No comments:

Post a Comment